Friday, July 9, 2010

Internet Friend Scam!!!

This thing just happened a few days ago. My uncle informed me that he is coming to Penang with his lady friend. Who is this friend? Does his wife knows about this? Well, apparently he knows this lady accidently through internet chatting. This lady aged 27 years old and stayed in Manchester, UK. His father just passed away and left her a lump sum of money. She decided to invest the money by buying a property in Penang. My uncled forwarded me some of her photos and she's really a beautiful girl.
According to my uncle, she is still single... I dont believe it. Well, I did smell something is not right, but I did mentioned to my uncle just be careful.

According to plan, this lady supposed to depart from Manchester on Wednesday and reach KL on Thursday. Then my uncle supposed to pick her up at KLIA. She will stay at my uncle place for a night and come to Penang on Friday to settle the house buying stuff. So she will stay at my place and I will help her while she's in Penang. My uncle is not good in Penang as well. I'm OK with it, just that I do not know how long she'll stay and I do not know her plan. This is going to be a long weekend since Monday is the replacemnet holiday for Penang Governer's Day. I did planned to go back to my hometown, but this has to be postphoned then.

Back to the story, my uncle went to KLIA to pick her up. Butttttttttt, she didn't turn up. I call my uncle asking for her flight details, but she did not provide it to my uncle. So I checked on the internet of the flight schedule from any airlines from UK to Malaysia. Only one flight available which already touched down early in the morning. The next flight would be in the evening. It was during noon, and my uncle has been waiting for few hours. So he decided to went back home. I said to my uncle, if this lady really come ask her to fly direct to Penang and I will pick her up in Penang. However she did call or send any message to my uncle. This is something more fishy to me...

I did google search on the internet scam and I found this.

http://tunjanglangit.blogspot.com/2009/07/penipuan-kenalan-internet-wanita-mesti.html

Anyhow, I send message to my uncle not to helo her if anything to do with money. The next day, my uncle called. It's the same like what happened in the above linked. The lady called my uncle saying that she was detained by immigration because she didn't declare her money. Apparently she brings along cash worth RM500k. She will need to pay RM5K to bail out. She call my uncle to help her out. Even the immigration officer called my uncle to confirm this.

Luckily my uncle is not stupid. He said he doesn't has that much money, instead he ask her to call her friend in Manchester to bank-in that much money to help her out. My uncle did get the immigration officer name. My uncle called KLIA immigration ofice looking for the person with that name. He just want to confirm is the detained is real or fake. The person with that name is really exist, but according to that officer there is no such thing happened. They did not detained any people today :).
Scam!!! My uncle just get conned. Pity him because he had to travel to KLIA waiting for this stupid sucker. But on the good side, he did realize this before he loose any money to this lady.

So for those outside there, beware of this scam. Sometime our intention is good, but people taking advantadge over it.!!

No comments: