Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fresh Supplies

I came from one small town called Pantai Remis, which is a coastal town in Perak. Pantai Remis means Sea Shell Beach. Honestly I do not know what Remis called in English. Remis looks similar like clam but it is small like 10 cent coin. Since Remis is abundant in this place, then its famous for Pantai Remis :). But it's quite true, since every time I went picnic to nearby beaches, I always encounter Remis and they are a lot. Just that they are small, if they are bigger I'm sure I can get some earning from that.

Being so closed to the sea, fishing is the main activity for the residents. What I loved so much about this town is that I can get fresh seafood supplies with a very cheap price. During the recent Eid holiday, my family was having small bbq at night. So to prepare the stuff for the event, me and my brother went to the dock to get the seafood. The boat just arrived when we were there, and we went inside the boat to pick our stuff. Check this photo, my brother with other fisherman segregating the seafoods. They have few types of fishes, prawn and crab.


The price is tremendously cheap, for the big prawn which normally price RM35-42, I can get RM25, squid of normally RM16 is RM8 ( I did compare this last night at Tesco). Fish is even cheap, I can get "ikan Kembong" with RM4/kg. Plus, its very fresh, direct from the sea. Nothing fresher than this unless I go fishing myself :).Here is the photo of 2kg of RM25 prawn.



So everytime I went back to my hometown, I'll make sure that I get enough fresh seafood supplies to bring back to Penang.